Sunday, April 10, 2011

Week 68... A Lesson Learned.

Hello Everyone, 

Well this week was soo great!!! Elder and I have received a lot of instruction. We had a zone conference on Tuesday, and general conference on Saturday and Sunday! It was amazing! I think I wrote in my study journal over 20 pages of notes from conference. It's a great way to stay awake sit up and write what the spirit tells you. I loved the conference this year. It has given me guidance not only for my mission now and what I need to do now but also as I prepare to return home. I have an idea for what I need to do. I have learned a lot about the atonement of Jesus Christ. I have learned more on how to listen to the spirit. I have learned what really matters most in life and what the eternal things of this life are. If you remember the movie Click with Adam Sandler he actually states an eternal truth (funny coming from Adam Sandler right??) an eternal truth that was testified by the apostles and prophet of the Lord. "Family comes first".  

I was asked by mom to say what my favorite thing about my mission is. As I think about it, it is a hard thing to pick what is my favorite thing about my mission. Well if I had to pick one it wouldn't be a certain thing I've done, a memory of some kind or an experience. It is a lesson learned. A lesson that every young boy growing to a man needs to learn. It is a lesson that every mother's son should learn. It is a lesson that everyone should learn. It is a lesson that I have learned and I am so grateful for it. And will be for the rest of eternity. It is my family and the importance of their lives in mine. I learned when I first left how much I really rely on my family. I learned how much they do for me. I learned how much they love me, and what they would do for me. Its such a blessing as said in the hymn. " I am a child of God and he has sent me here. Has given me and earthly home with parents kind and dear." I remember singing that when I was baptized. It was in the backyard next to the pool. Lots of people were there and I was wearing my "italian suit".  Well 12 years later I really understand what that means. 

In October my family and I were hit with a trial that I wasn't sure what to do. I almost lost my Mom. Thankfully the Lord has kept his eye on her. And I know that because I am here she has been even more blessed. I truly believe that had I not decided to go on a mission this trial would have gone another way instead of the way it has. Prayers and fasting has given us strength and everything has helped me to continue fulfilling my purpose. Making mistakes along the way but repenting immediately. I have learned that The father is the head of the home. and the Mother is the Heart of the home. I've learned that my mom has the biggest heart in our family and it is because of that, that we are strong. The head and heart work together to accomplish great things. I have learned that I am to serve my mission and then find my eternal companion. I have learned that the family is the most basic central unit here on earth, the foundation of all we do. I know that a family can be together through the power and authority of the priesthood. This priesthood given to us by the Lord to bring us happiness. 

As we listened to general conference that was the central message. I'm so grateful for my family and all they do for me. I hope and pray that we can all learn the value of this lesson and learn that a family is more important that you may think. I love you all and hope you do all you can to show love to your family!!  

-- 
-Elder Heaton 

Philippines Bacolod Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment