Monday, May 16, 2011

Week 73... Yesterday, Today, and Forever.

Well last week was great we were able to call home.  I was able to talk to mom and wish her a Happy Mothers Day. We had a great time. This week was good. Has its ups and downs. We had a lot of lessons working through members and part member families. Reactivation and baptism in one place in one lesson. 2 birds with one stone. If that's not efficiency, I don't know what is... Just kidding! haha. But no, it was a good week. Although we didn't get the results we wanted on Sunday, we did all we could. 

We had a great time on Saturday at the Jubilee celebration. 1961-2011. 50 years in the Philippines. As my grandfather said. "When the Philippines opens for missionary work it will be the fastest growing mission in the world."  I'm grateful that my Grandpa was able to come here and lay the foundations of the work, although he is an unsung hero here. His influence will be impacting on many. The work is progressing that is for sure. We need more missionaries. Every young man should prepare early on. I know I didn't but I'm here now and doing all I can to serve the Lord with all my heart mind might and strength. 

As I studied this morning I read in D&C section 84. Here it talks about the doctrines of the priesthood. I understand more why we need the priesthood. I also found a cool verse that talks about the Book of Mormon. The missionaries back in the day neglected the Book of Mormon. And when they returned home the Lord rebuked them for it. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said "When an investigator doesn't read the book of mormon be devastated!!!" I understand now why I need to. The Book of Mormon is the evidence that God has restored the priesthood and has given us a way to salvation. 

The Lord has given us the Book of Mormon so that we may know even more who Jesus Christ is and what he did for us. I know that we all must declare the Book of Mormon to the world because that along with the Bible and the other standard works of the church we can better follow Jesus Christ our Savior. And follow his instruction he stated in the Book of Mormon itself.  In 2 Nephi 29:7-9, "Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all nations of the earth? Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also. And I do this that I proved unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever" 

I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that the world would say you cannot add to the words of God. Well I would say to them they are the words of God from his own mouth. As a testimony to us all that Jesus is the Christ and that there is only one true and living church and one way to salvation. For God is the same "yesterday today and forever" Let us all follow the words of President Monson "If you havent read the Book of Mormon.....READ IT" I love you all and hope we can all follow more closely our Savior and Redeemer Jesus Christ.

--
-Elder Heaton

Philippines Bacolod Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment