Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Week 90...Weakness.

Well this week was one of growth. It was a week that I thought may effect the next few weeks, which it did, but not the way I thought it would. I'm grateful for the way it turned out because I was able to find out my own weaknesses. Us as a people [generally] we don't see our weaknesses. We, in fact, tend to avoid finding them. Avoiding weakness as if they were a plague.

D&C 121:34-37 helps us understand.
34 Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?
35 Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson—
36 That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.
37 That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.

As children of God here on earth, we must stand taller and live a life of excellence. Seeking to be more excellent than we were yesterday. If we really want to be better, then we should read in the Book of Mormon:

Ether 12:27
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

"Be ye therefore perfect" If we have any hope of doing this we must first of all humble ourselves, seek to fix our own problems. Michael Jackson states an eternal principle in his song "I'm starting with the man in the mirror, I'm asking him to change his ways...If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make that change." I hope that we can all stop and take a look at the man in the mirror. See our weaknesses, whether it be pride, envy, disobedience to the gospel, or anything that isn't in harmony with our Heavenly Fathers plan. Take a step back look at your self and then make a change. I pray that we can all stand taller and lift where we stand. I pray that we may seek to be humble that we may be strengthen by the Lord. His grace is sufficient for all those that come unto him. I love you all and pray that this can be the desire our our hearts.



--
-Elder Heaton

Philippines Bacolod Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment